Monday, June 24, 2013

Midnight conversations

      There we were, at the top of the tree. On the highest branch we could climb, and the strongest so we wouldn't fall. And we just sat there. It was probably midnight and a breeze was blowing just enough so you wouldn't feel the heat and sweat trailing down your neck.

     "Are you good?", I ask. 
     "Yes. And no.", he says.
     "What's wrong?"     "My life is a mess. It's all going upside down. I don't know what to do, I really don't know. And what's completely unfathomable is that I like it. I like not knowing what's going to happen in my life, if I'm ever gonna go to college or have a job or a wife of even kids. If my life's going to be a roller-coaster ride or as peaceful as this night is. I'm an unclear human being. Easy to say I like the unknown. I like ignorance." 

     And that's when I felt in some way accepted and maybe a bit selfish by feeling relieved. That someone has it like I do and can't control it. So I just sat there looking at the stars and listened. With sheer pleasure.

     Just the way he talked made my life feel easier. Like someone feeding you cotton candy, putting that sticky yet sugary ball of sugar in your mouth, and you can't get enough. You just take it in and feel alive. And you keep wishing for more, but not everything. One step at a time.

     After he's done talking and after I'm done listening I turn to him.

     "You know I love you", I say.
     "Always", he says back.

No comments:

Post a Comment